How to Obtain Disability Services

Students with disabilities utilize accommodations at Suffolk County Community College to facilitate their academic success. Students who need accommodations must submit written documentation of their disability to their home campus’ Office of Disability Services as soon as they are accepted to the college. This will allow the College sufficient time to make arrangements for accommodations and services before students take placement tests and before the start of classes

The paperwork submitted must include supporting documentation from a physician, appropriate health care provider or school- on appropriate letterhead and including the signature of the provider. Where appropriate, proof can also be provided by a rehabilitation agency. Please note that proof from a school district must include an up-to-date psychoeducational report and the most recent Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan.

All documentation should include the following information:

  • name or type of disability (i.e., diagnosis)
  • the limitations caused by the disability
  • length of time the student will be disabled
  • the barriers or problems the student may have in a college setting
  • the services or accommodations the student will need while in college

The College generally requires all written proof of a disability to be current. However, the college will accept test results and other documentation if the disability is not likely to substantially change over time. Students required to submit additional documentation may receive accommodations on a temporary basis if they can show that services or accommodations have been received in the past. Temporary accommodations will be considered on a case by case basis, however accommodations may be denied if no previous history exists.