Excelsior Scholarship

The New York State Excelsior Scholarship application for the fall 2017 semester opened on June 7, 2017 and will close on July 21, 2017.

The Scholarship is intended to supplement all current aid programs, including but not limited to TAP, PELL and other scholarships. Students can receive up to $5,500 from the scholarship, minus any amounts received from TAP, PELL, or other scholarships. It will provide assistance to students to cover any tuition gaps that may make college tuition free. The scholarship is intended to make college possible for students across the state.


Applicants must:

  • Be a resident of New York State;
  • Plan to attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program;
  • Take 30 credits per year and make progress toward graduation;
  • Maintain good academic standing;
  • Be on track to graduate on time with an Associate Degree in two years or a Bachelor’s Degree in four years; and
  • Be a New York State resident whose family household adjusted gross income (as filed on your 2015 federal tax return) does not exceed $100,000 for the 2017-2018 academic year.

To apply for this scholarship, you will need to:

  1. Upload a .pdf copy of your SAR (Student Aid Report) to the HESC website. If you do not have a copy of your SAR you can obtain one from fafsa.ed.gov.
  2. Upload a .pdf copy of your unofficial transcript. The transcript can be obtained by logging into MySCCC and selecting Unofficial Transcript in the Self-Service Banner menu.

For additional information visit the HESC website where you will find a list of questions and answers.

Regents Awards for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans, Police Officers and Firefighters

There are awards for children of disabled veterans of the war periods 1941-46, 1950-55, 1961-75, and 1990-end of hostilities. There are also awards for children of servicemen who were prisoners of war or missing in action from those periods. The award is $450 a year for up to four years of full-time college study in New York State. Child of Police Officer-Firefighters Awards are for children of police officers or firefighters who died as a result of an on the job injury after June 30, 1982. The award is $450 a year for up to four years of undergraduate study. Additional information is also available at HESC.

Educational Incentive Program

This is a program designed for students who are current employees at a registered or licensed day care provider. Students must be pursuing courses or programs related to early childhood education, child day care, children with special needs and other related subjects. Scholarship awards are based on income, type of courses studied and other priority considerations. Awards range from $117 per credit to $1,335 for full time study per semester. For additional information you must call (800) 295-9616.

Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program

Based on SAT or ACT scores and grade point average. Maximum award of $1,500 based on Federal Application. Applications available at high school Guidance Office or from the Bureau of HEOP/VTEA Scholarships, NYS Education Department, Education Building Annex, Room 1071, Albany, NY 12234, (518) 486-1319.

NYS Scholarship for Academic Excellence

NYS residents who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens enrolled (matriculated) for 12 credits or more. Cannot be in default on any NYS guaranteed student loan. Must attend a college in NYS. Awards are $1,500 to the top graduating senior of each high school in NYS, $500 to other academically gifted students for up to 4 years, or 5 years in certain programs. Scholarship must be used within 7 years. Contact the high school guidance office. To receive payment, complete the TAP application process.

Native American Education Student Aid

The Native American Education Student Aid is financial assistance for eligible Native American students for study in approved, undergraduate programs at New York State Institutions of higher education. It is not available for study at institutions located outside of New York State. Receiving New York State TAP does not affect a student's eligibility to receive Native American Education Student Aid. The application is not available on the web you must contact the Native American Education Unit directly for the application. If you would like additional information please visit New York State Higher Education Services.

For further information contact:
Native American Education Unit
Phone: (518) 474-0537
Fax: (518) 474-3666

Educational Opportunity Grant (EOP)

A special program for New York State students who have been designated by the college as both academically and economically disadvantaged. For more information on this program please contact the EOP Office.

Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation
(ACCES-VR, formerly VESID)

This program offers access to a full range of employment and independent living services that may be needed by persons with disabilities through their lives through its administration of vocational rehabilitation and independent living programs. For more information visit ACCES-VR.

Contact the District Office located at:

Hauppauge, New York
Phone: (631) 952-6357

Riverhead, New York
Phone: (631) 727-6496

What's Here?

Check out more than 600,000 scholarships.