|SCCC REFERENCE #:||17-50A
|DATE:||October 30, 2017
|TITLE:||Vice President for Academic Affairs
|TYPE OF APPOINTMENT:||Exempt
The Vice President for Academic Affairs reports to the President of the College and is responsible for all academic, campus, and workforce development programs and services, including the following:
1. Supervises Associate Vice Presidents and oversees all academic, and workforce development programs.
2. Provides college leadership, through the Associate Vice Presidents, in the development of college policy on academic affairs, continuing education and workforce development.
3. Coordinates and sets policy for curricula, course offerings, academic standards and grading systems, graduation requirements, and academic planning, program review, outcomes assessments and related matters
4. Provides college leadership for faculty and staff professional development programming and orientation sessions
5. Reviews and recommends course, curricular and academic and student affairs policy proposals for submission to the President for approval.
6. Coordinates new curriculum proposals for submission to the State University of New York and the State Education Department and serves as chief liaison to those agencies.
7. Oversees College’s outreach to business and governmental sectors regarding education, training and related support services
8. Oversees the accreditation process for the College to include the Middle States Association for Colleges and Schools, and for other specialized program accreditation.
9. Provides leadership in the development of the annual academic calendar, the college handbook, the college catalog, and other related academic affairs publications, reports and documents.
10. Participates as appropriate in the negotiation and implementation of professional employee bargaining agreements.
11. Establishes policies for appointment, evaluation, and assignment of full-time and part-time professional personnel in the academic, workforce and continuing education areas; and coordinates the request for personnel lines.
12. Coordinates the promotion process for full and part-time professional staff in academic affairs.
13. Coordinates and sets policy for evaluation processes, such as reviews of programs, services and outcomes assessment.
14. Acts as chief executive officer of the college, when so designated, in the absence of the President.
15. Assumes other related responsibilities as assigned by the President of the College.
The Vice President for Academic Affairs will be an accomplished and experienced academic leader with the following minimum qualifications:
1. Earned doctorate;
2. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies;
3. A record of successful, progressively significant administrative responsibilities in a complex higher education organization at the level of dean or above;
4. Demonstrated ability to provide academic administrative leadership in a consistent, creative, and accountable manner;
5. Extensive proven experience with institutional or academic unit-level accreditation processes and program reviews;
6. A record of scholarly, artistic, or other significant professional achievement.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate that they possess the following:
1. Proven commitment to a student-centered model;
2. Strong skills in academic program planning, including the development of distance education programs and similar alternatives for non-traditional students;
3. Demonstrated commitment to collegial, consultative processes of shared governance;
4. Commitment to community outreach and workforce program development;
5. Established background in entrepreneurial partnerships;
6. Proven understanding of and commitment to supporting institutional diversity goals for faculty, staff, students and academic programs;
7. Experience with learning communities and interdisciplinary collaborative teaching;
8. Achieved tenure status at the level of Associate Professor or above.
9. Successful career track record in securing funding for new ideas and other projects through grants development efforts;
10. Respect for and experience with the collective bargaining process;
11. Experience in a multi-campus setting;
12. An understanding of the academic issues and challenges faced by today’s community colleges;
13. Demonstrated understanding of the importance of teaching and learning at a community college, with a focus on rigor and intellectual stimulation; and
14. Excellent communication and technology skills.
Click on the following link:
Select position # 17-50A and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
As an exempt position, compensation will be based on the College's management salary scale.
**Please note: The start of employment date is negotiable**
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.
|Suffolk County Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, equal pay compensation-sex, national origin, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction or disability in its admissions, programs and activities, or employment. This applies to all employees, students, applicants or other members of the College community (including, but not limited to, vendors and visitors). Grievance procedures are available to interested persons by contacting either of the Civil Rights Compliance Officers/Coordinators listed below. Retaliation against a person who files a complaint, serves as a witness, or assists or participates in the investigation of a complaint in any manner is strictly prohibited.|
|The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the College's non-discrimination polices:
Civil Rights Compliance Officers
Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator
Ammerman Campus, NFL Bldg., Suite 230
533 College Road, Selden, New York 11784-2899
Affirmative Action Officer/Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Ammerman Campus, NFL Bldg., Suite 230
533 College Road, Selden, New York 11784-2899
In an emergency, contact Public Safety to make a report 24 hours a day/7 days a week by calling (631) 451-4242 or dialing 311 from any College phone.
|Inquiries or complaints concerning alleged civil rights violations in the College’s education admissions, programs and activities may also be directed to:
Office for Civil Rights (OCR) – Enforcement Office
U.S. Department of Education
32 Old Slip, 26th Floor
New York, NY 10005-2500
Telephone: (646) 428-3800
Fax: (646) 428-3843
TDD: (877) 521-2172
Also see: https://wdcrobcolp01.ed.gov/CFAPPS/OCR/contactus.cfm
|Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination in employment practices may also be directed to:
NYS Division of Human Rights
Long Island (Suffolk)
New York State Office Building
250 Veterans Memorial Highway, Suite 2B-49
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Telephone: (631) 952-6434
TDD: (718) 741-8300
Also see: https://dhr.ny.gov/how-file-complaint
|U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
New York District Office
33 Whitehall Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10004
Telephone: (800) 669-4000
Fax: (212) 336-3790
TTY: (800) 669-6820
ASL Video Phone: (844) 234-5122
Also see: https://www.eeoc.gov/field/newyork/charge.cfm
|Suffolk County Community College is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal opportunity and non-discrimination in employment, education, access to services, programs, and activities, including career and technical education opportunities.
A copy of the postsecondary career and technical education courses offered by the College is available and may be obtained on our website at: www.sunysuffolk.edu/explore-academics/college-catalog or by calling the Office of Admissions at 631-451-4000 to request a mailing.
|APPLY TO:||Interested applicants should apply online by clicking on the button below: