In order to meet the directive from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo to reduce workforce density, all campuses of Suffolk County Community College remain closed to all students and to the public. Please note that entry onto all campuses is restricted. College staff will continue to work remotely through June 13, 2020. We encourage you to contact the department or individual you wish to reach via email. Please visit the College Directory, accessible via the Quick Link menu on the College website homepage, in order to view College contact information. There may be a delay in our response time, but someone will get back to you. Remote instruction continues for all students. Please visit this website frequently for updated information.
No, the federal government requires students to be enrolled for at least 6 credits in their degree program in order to obtain a student loan.
New York State limits TAP funds for undergraduate students. Students may only receive TAP for the equivalent of 8 full time semesters. If you use TAP for the summer at a low-cost school like Suffolk, that will reduce your eligibility when and if you transfer on to complete a four-year degree, where your need for financial aid is often greater. At Suffolk you are entitled to 6 full time semesters of TAP aid.
The first thing to do is talk to your supervisor to see if they need help over the summer and would like you to return. If that is a yes, you can return to that position but first you must have completed the FAFSA. When the information is downloaded to our database, it will be reviewed to determine whether or not you are eligible to work in the summer. If you are eligible, you will receive a letter from us stating that you may begin working. If you haven't heard from us please feel free to come in or call us.
No, unfortunately. Both of those programs have limited funds so we only process awards for the Fall and Spring semesters.
No, financial aid can only be used to pay for books in the bookstore during the Fall and Spring semesters. You will be responsible for paying for your own books and supplies for summer session.
Students who do not meet the federal and/or state academic progress standards will receive a "block" which means they have lost their financial aid eligibility. Often, this block is not posted until after you have been tentatively packaged. You can lose financial aid that was already awarded. In some cases, students may appeal and have the aid reinstated. For details, visit your campus financial aid office.