Suffolk County Community College News
For Immediate Release
Share This News Release
Men's Track and Field Win Season Opener
Malik Hinds, at right and Daniel Velasquez in the 4 x 400 relay. Hinds was named Men's NJCAA Division III National Athlete of the Week
The Suffolk County Community College Men’s Track and Field Team kicked-off the season by winning the St. Joseph’s College Spring Opener.
Team highlights include:
- Ilya Wilson (Islip) placed second men’s 1500 with a time of 4:21.28
- Daniel Velasquez (Port Jefferson Station) finished third in the 400 hurdles with a time of 59.02
- The 4 x 400 relay team took silver with a time of 3:40.30; Micah-Assibey-Bonsu (Central Islip), Malik Hinds (Bay Shore), J’Son Hobson (Bellport) and Daniel Velasquez (Port Jefferson Station)
- The 4 x 800 took third and fourth; the third place squad came in with a time of 9:17.32 Ryan Evans (Middle Country), Joseph Varca (Sachem North), Michael Neftleberg (Sachem North), Demetrios Caroussos (Smithtown). The fourth place team with a time of 9:41.66 was run by Carols Martinez (Central Islip), Anthony Fernandez (Middle Country), Andres Guerrero (Rocky Point) and Brandon Cotto (Bay Shore)
- Malik Hinds (Bay Shore) took home the gold in the Long Jump with a leap of 6.65m
- Suffolk’s Micah Assibey-Bonsu (Central Islip) placed second in the Men’s Triple Jump with 14.28m jump.
Malik Hinds was named Men's NJCAA Division III National Athlete of the Week by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) http://www.ustfccca.org/2017/04/featured/ncaa-njcaa-outdoor-national-athletes-of-the-week-april-4.
Last revised: 4/6/2017
Comments on this webpage, contact: Drew Biondo